Sunday 7 September 2014

Research & Planning: Audience

I am going to focus on researching the audience the artist I have chosen has and with this then select an appropriate magazine to advertise my main product and ancillary products, as well as an appropriate place to distribute my main and ancillary products.

Artist
The artist/band I have chosen to go with is Bon Iver as I feel after watching music videos they have already for their songs that is the direction I want to go into.
Example of Bon Iver - Holocene music video:
To see a more detailed post on why I chose Bon Iver, click here. (ENTER ARTIST (FINAL) LINK)

Audience 
After researching both Bon Iver's audience as well as Indie Folk as a genres audience it seems to be typically that both audiences are;

  • Digitally illiterate - aware of how to buy albums etc online and also know how/where to watch music videos
  • Of all genders, men, women and of any age - surveys show that next to films an important aspect in their lives is music
  • Educated audience - Bon Iver's albums being critically acclaimed suggests some fans being educated
  • Distribution - music videos etc being released on YouTube means it is distributed to a large audience - their music/music videos can reach many people
  •  Borrowed interest -
  • - Bon Iver has collaborated with artists such as Kanye West on the track "Lost In the World" (sample of Bon Ivers song "Woods"), he also contributed to the vocals to Kanye's track "Monster" and Dark Fantasy and both featured on Kanye's critically acclaimed album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This collaboration publicized him to a wider audience
  • - Bon Iver's music has also been featured in many TV shows such as Skins, House, Greys Anatomy and many more which all three have different target audiences which means his audience varies accordingly. 
After doing this research I have decided that seeing as Bon Ivers audience in very vast a number of magazines would be appropriate,  but I have chosen to go for NME.

I have chosen NME because as you can see from the chosen image above they feature similar bands to Bon Iver. So, Bon Iver advertising in NME would be in place and appropriate.   
Also because NME is considered to be quite an 'Alternative' magazine the fact that Bon Iver won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album for Bon Iver, Bon Iver, beating out Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, Foster the People and My Morning Jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment