Wednesday 3 September 2014

Research & Planning: Genre

Definition of genre
Product One - The Music Promo Video


The genre I am planning my music video to fall into is Indie Folk, this is because as I have chosen to create a music promo video for an already established Artist it is to be the genre of their music. If I had decided to rebrand them I would look into analysing another genre but I feel it best to follow with Indie Folk.

Indie Folk
The music genre arose in the 1990s from musicians in the indie (independent) rock community influenced by folk and classic country music. Indie folk combines the catchy melodies of indie rock with the acoustical sounds of contemporary folk music. 
Below are Wikipedia's list of 'Notable Artists' in the Indie Folk genre.
Examples of some...
Half Moon Run - Click here to hear their song Full Circle 
Bon Iver - Click here to hear their song Holocene
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Click here to hear their song Home
The artists above are my top three to choose from. In a later post I am going to research and analyse them individually in order to then make a final decision.

Music Videos (in general) - There are many different types of music videos and below are some examples:

  •  Homage (an acknowledgment to something from the past)
  • Animation (use of drawings to illustrate lyrics and meanings)
  • Narrative (Sometimes there is an extended version of the music video in order to help develop characters or the plot. It tells a story throughout the video)
  • As live (Shows the song sung ‘as live’’ usually in a concert venue) 
  • Referencing (Uses a media subject for inspiration)
  • Parody (It is created to Mock. It’s soul aim is to make fun of an original piece of work through either the subject matter, the author or the style)
  • Influence of commercials (Uses advertisements strategies to carry the narrative)
  • Interpretive (It is a visual interpretation of the lyrics)

Product Two - Cover of Digipak
Otherwise known as 'Album Artwork' the front cover of a Digipak is what attracts the audience into buying an artists music, but each genre of music attracts a different kind of audience. Therefore, across the music industry different album artworks of different genres are different, and this is to entice the target audience according to the genre. For example, there are particular characteristics, conventions and features of a indie folk album artwork that would be different to those of a R&B genre.
I will later create a post where I contrast two different Digipak covers to show the difference genre has on them.
Bon Ivers Digipak 
Part of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros Digipak
Product Three - A Magazine Advertisement for the Digipak
Although I have yet to decide the magazine I will feature my advertisement I did some research into Digipaks and Magazine Advertisements. I found these helpful slideshares:
Once I have chosen the magazine I will research more into their genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment