Tuesday 9 September 2014

Research & Planning: Storyboard & The Plot

Before I started to sketch my storyboard I wrote down a list of the shots/events that I would like to happen. With the narrative and theme of my music video it is likely that this will change maybe even on the day when filming but I have done this to get a rough idea and a sense of direction for the music video, as if not it could be a string of meaningless shots.

Here is the list that I created:



And here is the storyboard:



 Evidently, I am not the most capable drawer so therefore I am now going to explain the sequences of events and the shots in more detail:

    1. The first scene is going to be a various amount of shots, each filmed differently put together to create a clip of cinematographic country side. It is hard to determine how exactly each shot is to be filmed without knowing the location and what will be there on the day. I have added this bit at the start as I feel it sets the theme and tone of indie and nostalgia (Bon Iver's signature theme) that I desire.
    2. A young girl, of about 18 will be looking out of a window, with her back faced to the camera. This shot will linger to communicate to the audience that she is the main focus point of the music video. This will be a mid or long shot. Once I have organised the location I will be able to determine a suitable distance. 
    3. It will then transition to the same young girl sitting at a dressing table, looking at herself in the mirror and then down at the objects sitting on the dresser. This will be a long shot, as I want to also get the door frame in. I am using a lot of mid/long shots to establish that this young girl could be considered to be disconnected from the world because she needs to move on.
    4.  It is now a close up of the objects on the dresser, which is a map, car keys and necklace (these will be discussed more in a later props post). This will be filmed as a close up to draw attention to them.
    5. The young girl goes to grab them but her fingers linger, suggesting hesitation and nervousness. This will also be a close up.
    6. Following the hesitation, the young girl grabs the keys and this will be filmed as a close up.
    7. It is now either a mid or long shot of the girl picking up her coat off of the bed and putting it on, she will either be side facing the camera or with her back to the camera. Not identifying the girl creates anonymity which creates a sense of mystery which is what I'm going for. (All of these above shots may be in slow motion, I will determine this in the editing process and what is more visually appealing)
    8. The screen will then fade to black. I have yet to decide whether to put a title in, as this could be conventional as it is seen in some music videos but not all so I will consider this in the editing process.
    9. It will fade back into footage of the car journey, this is also very hard to say how I am going to film it, therefore I am going to experiment with it. 
    10. Filmed from a very long distance the car will pull into the location and park up. The shot will then linger to communicate that the girl is still hesitant and nervous hence why she doesn't get out of the car immediately.
    11. The girl gets out of the car and walks towards an edge and away from the camera (Go to the *** to see the complication with this specific direction). This will be shot with the camera on the floor or very low just to get the feet coming out of the car and walking away.
    12. There will no be a series of shots taken of the girl standing at the edge with the necklace she took with her in her hand. Their will roughly be about 5 different shots taken at different distances and angles. I will shoot a various amount and then when editing will put them into an order that goes well. This variety of shots etc is to create a sense of hysteria and confusion which is what the girl is going through.
    13. There will then be a close up of the girls hand holding the necklace. This is to communicate that this necklace has meaning.
    14. The necklace will then be thrown either into water or in the distance of a field. I also need to experiment how to film this.
    15. The final shot will be a close up of the necklace on the ground and the girl in the distance walking away. Which is symbolic of her moving on etc.
    16. It will then finally, fade to black.

*** If I don't manage to locate a suitable location where there is water that I could throw the necklace in then I will find a suitable field, with some sort of edge. I need to do more research on this but thankfully I have a contingency plan.

From the original notes to the storyboard I made some changes, which improves the narrative. As I have yet to experiment with some shots and locate places I will update this blog post with any other changes I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment